Thursday, August 23, 2012

You can take the girl out of Arkansas but you can't take Arkansas out of the girl

If you were unaware of this and it is quite possible if you are reading this you do not know I recently moved to Atlanta. Yes. I said Atlanta, Georgia.  The peach state.  Home of former President Jimmy Carter.  Okay I think there are all the Georgian facts I have for the moment.  The reason for my move was to attend seminary.  I feel a call to ministry and at the moment I see it being in the area of teaching hopefully Christian Ethics at the collegiate level.  Pretty much everyone who has found out that I moved to Atlanta has questioned my ability to survive in this urban jungle.  This rural Arkansas girl will surely be trampled by the city folk here in Atlanta.  On the other side of the coin most everyone I have met here in Atlanta is taken aback that they can now say they have met someone from Arkansas (because apparently you don't meet folks from AR every day) and they are concerned that where I am from is three hours from an airport.  To everyone at home I have survived a week. I have successfully located Target (of course one of the essentials to locate in any city) and have managed to maneuver my way on both the perimeter interstate and the other one (I can't remember the name right now) which are both located minutes from my apartment.  Aside from the haters it is kind of nice being a novelty.  I am educating all my new friends on the quirky and interesting (well I think they are interesting) facts about my beloved home state.  Williams Baptist College is now known here.  They are aware of the earthquakes we have, the diamond mine, Razorback pride, and the wet/dry county issue.  My Georgian friends have shown me Stone Mountain and its Confederate glory.  I feel like I can confidently say I am a true Southerner after seeing the monument to the Confederate heroes.  My roommate is from North Carolina and we trade facts daily.  I do await getting to visit the beach there one day soon. On a more serious note since I have arrived here I have seen the Lord again show His faithfulness.  My grandmother passed away yesterday.  I already have community who is praying for me and my family here and that is most appreciated.  I am blessed to be able to fly home for the funeral and to be with my family as we grieve the loss of this amazing woman who has forever shaped my life.  (I plan on writing a post dedicated to my grandmother soon).  Arkansas will forever be my home but for now while I am in Atlanta I am excited and comforted by my experience here so far.  God is with me as I pursue my education and the Lord's hand will be over me no matter where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment